Who doesn't love a fresh smoothie? If you're looking for a refreshing snack or a nice cool down during the warmer months, smoothies are a great choice for two main reasons:
- Great source of nutrients. All you need for a smoothie are your favorite fruits or veggies, your favorite juice, and/or some sort of dairy base (try it with soy!). Simple as that and you get to use your favorites!
- It's easy and convenient. All you need is a blender. Just put your favorite ingredients into your blender and watch it transform into a beautiful smoothie!
With smoothies, there are endless possibilities and it's (usually) hard to go wrong with trying out new flavor combinations. By incorporating such a variety of nutrients, they make a great snack or meal replacement. Smoothies are both refreshing and, given the right ingredients, very healthy for you. Make it a routine in your day, not only for its health benefits, but to also save you time and money that you would have spent otherwise. Have one for breakfast to kick start your day!
Here are a few of our favorite smoothies and their recipes:
For the berry lovers: Berry Good Smoothie
- 1½ cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup ice cubes
For the “I wish I was on vacation” smoothie sippers: Tropical Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen pineapple pieces
- 1 frozen banana
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup low fat vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons coconut
For the health nut: Popeye Smoothie
- Handful of fresh spinach
- 1 cup vanilla lowfat yogurt
- ½ cup cranberry juice
- 3 strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 10 blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 banana (fresh or frozen)
- A few cubes of ice
And to ensure that you’re using the best fruits available this season, check out this awesome and easy-to-read list of fruits by season. Tell us what some of your favorite smoothie recipes are!