Staying organized is important for mental clarity and stress reduction. Here are some of our favorite tips for staying organized.
- Have an easy list: There are lots of fancy apps and gadgets these days to help you stay organized. But it's not very productive if you have to fiddle with too many things before you can access your to do list or calendar. Keep your list simple and easy to access.
- Prioritize your 3 most important tasks of the day: Choosing your 3 most important tasks of the day is a good way to prevent yourself from getting side tracked.
- Do one thing at a time: People like to multi task, but sometimes it's better to concentrate and complete one thing at a time.
- Do it now: Starting your tasks immediately helps you finish them as well. It's easy to procrastinate or push start dates if you have too many things to do.
- Learn to say "No": Your time is valuable so you'll have to learn to say no sometimes in order to get it all done.
- Unapologetically take control of your time and priorities: Taking control of your time can mean many things, including saying no in #5.
- Have less stuff: Learn to use the recycling bin/trash bin/donation bin. There's tremendous wisdom in the concept "less is more."
- Color code: It's nice to pick up information visually when you glance at things.
- Have fun: Always enjoy what you're doing. Positive reinforcement is a strong motivator for getting things done.